E t h i c a l b r e e d i n g
As a responsible breeder and member of Papillon-Ringen, I
have to adhere to the following recommendations...
- to treat and care for my dogs in line with well-tried
experience, and follow the fundamental rules of the Swedish
Kennel Club (SKK) for breeding of dogs, and the regulations
of the Swedish Department of Agriculture.
- to only breed on pure-bred dogs, and to be well familiar with
the breed standard of Papillon.
- to only breed on dogs registered in SKK, or other acknowledged
foreign kennel club.
- to only breed on dogs that are physically and psychically
healthy, and abide with the rules regarding genetically
defects. The breed has from 1994 a health program regarding
PRA, which implies prohibition to register offspring from
the papillon afflicted with PRA, and its parents, and - if
any - earlier produced offspring from the PRA-sick dog.
- to identification-mark my dog according to the SKK rules.
- that the parent-dogs must be cleared from patella luxation
and the result registered with Papillon-Ringen, before
mating the dogs.
- that palpated check-up for patella luxation must be done
when the dog is more than 12 months old.
- that the parent-dogs must be cleared from PRA during the
last 12 months before mating. However, a dog that is cleared
from PRA through ERG-examination done in Sweden, is exempted from
- to avoid one-sided breeding on a limited number of dogs
(males), i.e. matador-breeding.
- to broaden the breeding-base within the breed.
- to, as far as possible, let the intended bitch
respectively dog become 2 years of age before mating. If
this step is combined with a renewed PRA-clearance of the
parents of the dog and bitch at the age of 4-5 years, the
breeders possibility to take effective actions in the fight
against PRA increases radically.
- not to mate bitches for the first time after the age of 4
- not to mate bitches after 7 years of age, if there aren't
- that only in exceptional cases use a bitch in breeding
more than once a year, and to withdraw a bitch from breeding
after having 2 Caesarean sections.
- that puppies, according to SKK's fundamental rules, must
be at least 8 weeks old when sold, registered in SKK,
identification-marked, veterinary examined and certified
healthy, and dewormed. Written advice of how to care for the
puppy, and contract of sale must be written according to
- that breeders should be well aware of their responsibility
toward puppy-buyers, and that the Swedish laws regarding
consumer sales are valid when selling puppies.
- that breeders do not give untrue information about their
- that breeders recommend their puppy-buyers to check for
patella luxation and PRA, and register the results at
Papillon-Ringen in order to keep the breed sound and